Social Media And Ethics Responsibility:
These relate to the ethical concerns and privacy issues that people face while being on the internet. These issues can have some serious consequences on the professional and personal lives of individuals.
Social media platforms allow people to share anything and everything online but it doesn't give them the freedom to share anything offensive, unethical, illegal, inappropriate, or anything that can hurt the sentiments of a particular group of society. Even the constitution mandates its citizens to exercise their freedom judiciously and consider the rights of other citizens too.
Businesses are increasingly using the social media marketing tool to expand their market share and drive business for their organizations to increase their profit and accelerate growth. But with the increasing use of social media platforms, there comes an ethical and corporate social responsibility which they need to fulfill while sharing anything online. There are a lot of things that businesses have to consider while promoting their products and services on the internet.
Not only businesses, but individuals also need to take care of what they are sharing online.
Some of the important considerations are:
- Most businesses are going online especially in the Covid times. They use social media as an effective medium where the companies can market their products and expand their customer base. But with this power comes great ethical responsibility. Businesses need to understand their limits and ethical behavior that should be displayed while sharing their products and services online. This involves ethical advertising and marketing practices formulated with the sole aim of attracting customers. The promotional content should not contain any misrepresentations which can hoodwink the customers. Businesses should avoid sharing anything related to the political beliefs of the people, religious sentiments, caste or gender-based advertisements, or any false promises. They should be fair and transparent while promoting their products online.
- Conflicts and disputes keep on arriving in big organizations and such conflicts between the corporate values and personal values may come to the forefront if the employees fail to understand their ethical responsibility and share their grievances and issues on their social media profiles. Businesses need to ensure that the employees are well aware of the conditions for sharing information on social media platforms. They should follow the ethical code of conduct of the organisation and report to the grievance cell of the organisation if any issue arises.
- Businesses need to remember their ethical responsibility during the recruitment process also. Sometimes they indulge in unethical practices to attract employees from their current workplace by clever use of social media. Such behavior is not appreciable on part of businesses. The organizations should adopt a clear policy while recruiting candidates and promote and open an ethical culture.
- Another serious concern is sharing hoax news on social media. This is not only the responsibility of businesses but also individuals to verify the news sources and avoid spreading rumors online. Social media is a powerful platform that can do wonders but only if used judiciously. If any careless attitude is shown then it can damage the reputation of another individual, organization, or entity and can even create tensions among communities. Therefore, it is the ethical responsibility of every individual and business to share authentic and genuine news.
- Social media should be used wisely by people to avoid getting into serious problems. People should restrict sharing their personal information online such as their phone numbers, home address, family information. Some hackers and cyber criminals collect information from the social media profiles of their targets and then indulge in criminal activities by blackmailing people. This ethical responsibility is important for oneself more than others because if you stop sharing your personal information online then you will be saved from any serious consequences. On the other hand, businesses should also restrict from collecting personal information of people from their social media profiles. It's not wrong to collect information as long as you are using it wisely but if you're stealing the information and using the database for your benefits then it is an unethical practice. Reaching people without their consent is considered an unethical practice, if not illegal for businesses.
These are some of the ethical practices which businesses and individuals must follow if they want to avoid getting into any complicated situation. It is believed that ethical businesses cannot survive but this is just a myth created by unethical organizations. In recent years, advertising has changed a lot and advertisers can be involved in customer's life on a different level which is helping them understand their needs and preferences better and give them the best solutions accordingly. They can face tough ethical questions and make complicated decisions. This supports the fact that the future is ETHICAL!