Social media and traditional media
Social media and traditional media
As technology is increasing and marketing continues to evolve, new methods are referred to as new media, and this new media is believed to deliver better results than other tactics i.e. traditional media or old media.
Traditional media- basically, it includes non-digital platforms of media as for advertising and marketing methods. Some examples are television advertisements, radio advertisements, print advertisements, code calling, banner sales, door-to-door sales, etc. Different companies just use these methods for over so many years and attract thousands of consumers for sales and make a huge profit. These methods are used rapidly even recently these methods are used somehow. These media focus to deliver the news to the public and generally target the set of audiences to hit with the news.
Social media- these days, the term social media is used by almost everyone which describes a variety of different digital platforms. It refers to different social media networking sites, we use in today's life, such sites are Youtube, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. In recent days, media mentioned in traditional sources, digital media of them is also outsourced such as digital newspapers and blogs.
Differences between traditional and social media-
- Social media offers the targeted audience whereas, traditional media targets the wider audience pool - social media hits the very targeted audience only, if we are pitching rightly and follow proper requirements then also, our news will be shared with the targeted audience only or the users who use that particular site. But, on the other hand, traditional media covers a large audience and reaches the masses at the same time.
- Social media is immediate, while traditional media can be delayed due to press times- traditional media exercises a much longer timeline than social media. Reminding of the hours for drafting and distributing pitch, connecting to reporters, and providing useful imagery. Whereas, social media takes less time to put together and can publish in no time.
- Traditional media publishes are more final whereas, social media is delayed- once your story or news is published in a newspaper, it's final, you can't change it if it has any problems. Unless or until you have good relations with the reporter and he agrees to make changes. On the other hand, social media is self-owned media, we can make changes according to our needs and wishes.
Similarities Between both traditional and social media-
- Both are mass media- Traditional and social media both are considered as mass media. They are mass media because they can reach large audiences. Or we can say like they can reach a mass number of people.
- Center of attention- Both traditional and mass media disseminating information to a number of people at the same time. Information can be regarding any news, any government policy, or any cricket new update. It can be of any type.
- Way of communication- Both the media can be the way to communicate with a large number of people. Social media is more technical and advance than traditional media.
Conclusion- Media industry is evolving over time and new forms of media are increasingly used but this does not mean that old forms are obsolete. Instead of comparing and finding out which one is better, we should concentrate on which media is helping us in our problems. Traditional is being replaced by new media. Both help us in their own way. Tactics of traditional media are different from tactics of social and new media. We can simply control new media according to ourselves, our needs.